Monday, October 22, 2007

Sox , Sox, Socks!


So I finished the heel of the second sock while watching the SOX win the ALCS! I wanted to stop and just watch the game, but those Sox were making me too nervous with the potential tying run at home plate 3 times in a row. Thank goodness for J.P. I know I said I didn't think they'd get to the World Series this year, but look at that, I was wrong.

I am really liking the wool for this project. I picked it up at Patterworks in NH over Columbus Day weekend and had initially intended to make plain socks with red heels and toes, but it really lends itself better to cables. I still wanted a fairly simple, quick knit though, so I used just a simple twist stitch all around the cuff and then continued that down 2 sides of the sock. I like them although the cables sort of abruptly stop at the ankle. I think if I made them again I would make the cuff shorter, change to stocking stitch sooner with the 2 cables going down the sides. I have 2 more skeins and I'm thinking I'll be making some mittens or gloves or maybe these socks. Looks like I will have a whole lotta knitting time over the next 10 days....

Meanwhile, I have started some mitts for my son. I bought some Cascade baby alpaca on Saturday in sort of a green/blue colorway and started the Axel Mitts from Blue Garter. I had to adjust the pattern somewhat, because the way it is written makes the initial cables not really line up with the ribbing. Also my son wanted the palm side to be 3 x 1 ribbing. So I reworked the pattern to adjust it and now I am thinking I am not crazy about how the cable is worked. Once the second cross is started it looks a bit wonky. I am thinking that the second cross of the cable needs to start while the first is feathering out to the sides still. I'll have to play with it a bit to see how it looks. It is a quick knit though, so easy to rip back and re-do. Here is the progress so far:

This picture is closer to the true color which is much more suitable for a teenage boy:


More later. I have a Red Sox hangover which needs to be caught up on before Wednesday....

No comments: